Thursday, July 28, 2011

Being an Online ESL teacher

Three years have passed since I first made the professional transition from being a teacher in a traditional classroom to one online. The experience that I have gained from these years is priceless, as I have learned about the pros and cons of each situation.

The PROS...
Being an online ESL teacher has provided more opportunities to reach very motivated learners. These students make great economic and personal sacrifices because they are interested in improving themselves by learning another language. These students are highly intellectual and usually provide engaging conversations. I feel priviledged to have taught students in over twenty-five different countries.

The CONS...
Many online schools are not able to pay teachers a salary that is typical for educators. At times, I was earning less than when I worked at an ice cream parlor as a waitress! For that reason, I preferred teaching independently from any schools using Skype.

That being said, I would like to congratulate the online language company called TELLMEMORE for being the most interesting place to work at while being an online ESL Teacher. My bosses trained me very well and were always available to answer questions. The students came well-prepared for our classes and were motivated to speak about each topic. Even the other online teachers that I met while training together were friendly and eager to collaborate on ideas.

Here is a small video clip where I was featured as an online ESL teacher at TELLMEMORE:
http://mcetv.fr/mon-mag/3006-tell-me-more-une-solution-pour-apprendre-une-langue-etrangere(I appear in the second video clip)

No comments: